2009/12/3
break the ice = strike up an acquaintance after overcoming initial shyness打开僵持[拘束]德局面
I offered her a cigarette to break the ice, and we were soon in conversation.
为打破沉默,我递给她一支香烟,结果我们马上谈起话来了。
break the news = convey information宣布不好的消息
I don't know how to break the news to him about the change in plans.
我不知道如何把有关计划改变的消息告诉他。
2009/12/4
break the thread = interrupt a line of reasoning/thought打断思路
Where had we got to? That phone call has broken the thread.
我们刚才讲到哪里了?那个电话打断了思路。
break through = force an opening in an obstruction冲垮,突破
You can see where the fox broke through the wire to get at the chickens.
你可以看到狐狸是从金属丝网的哪儿进去吃掉鸡的。
2009/12/5
break up = (cause to) divide into pieces/disperse/separate or finish/end 破碎,打碎,驱散,分离,分开,结果
She broke the old furniture up and sold the wood.
他把旧家具砍成碎块当柴卖了。
Policemen used tear gas to break up a demonstration of black high school students today.
今天,警察使用了催泪弹来驱散黑人中学生的示威。
2009/12/7
breast
beat one’s breast = greatly regret an error捶胸表示忏悔[自责]
Anybody could easily have made a similar mistake, so there’s no need to beat your breast about it.
每个人都很可能犯下同样的错误,因此没有必要捶胸自责。
make a clean breast of = confess fully完全承认,彻底坦白(罪行等)
I’ve decided to make a clean breast of it and tell you that it was me who broke the window.
我决定彻底坦白,告诉你是我打破了窗子。
2009/12/8
breath of fresh air = refreshing development使人耳目一新
His ideas about revitalizing the company’s activities are like a breath of fresh air.
他是公司恢复元气活动的意见如同一股新鲜空气,使人耳目一新。
hold one’s breath = wait (in anticipation) for something to happen(因紧张,激动等)屏息,不出声
She said she might decide to go out with me but I’m not holding my breath!
她说她可能决定同我一起出去,但是我心情一点也不激动。
2009/12/9
in the same breath = simultaneously同时
Jill said she couldn't afford new clothes yet in the same breath described the new outfit she’d just bought.
吉尔说她买不起新衣服,然而与此同时她又描绘起她刚买的那套新衣服。
out of/short of breath = breathless喘不过气来
By the time I’d reached the top of the hill I was completely out of breath.
我到达山顶的时候,已是完全上气不接下气。
2009/12/10
save your breath = I do not want to hear your comments别白费口舌
I don't care what you think; save your breath to cool your porridge!
我不在乎你怎么想,你省点力气,别白费口舌了。
take one breath away = astonish/give intense pleasure to/surprise one使某人激动得透不过气来
The beautiful view from the top of the mountain took my breath away.
从山顶上看到的美景,使我目瞪口呆。
2009/12/11
under one’s breath = in a whisper低声地
His suggestion was so outrageous, I couldn't help commenting under my breath.
他的建议实在不能容忍,我情不自禁地轻轻评论开了。
waste one’s breath = talk when nobody heeds or is listening徒费唇舌
I told them how to do it but I was wasting my breath; they went and tried it their way-and failed!
我告诉他们怎么做,但是我徒费唇舌,他们还是按自己的一套去做-结果失败了!