咖啡日语论坛

找回密码
 注~册
搜索
查看: 8732|回复: 69

[英语学习] 《英语名人家书》 英汉对照

[复制链接]
发表于 2008-9-21 10:25:42 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
1 . Benjamin Franklin to His Sister ( Mrs . Jane Mecom )
1Benjamin Franklin to
His SisterMrsJane Mecom

LondonSeptember161758
Dear Sister
I received your favour of June 17I wonderyou have had no letter from me since my being inEnglandI have written you at least two and Ithink a third before thisand what was next towaiting on you in personsent you my pictureInJune last I sent Benny a trunk of booksand wroteto himI hope they have come to handand thathe meets with encouragement in his businessIcongratulate you on the conquest of Cape Bretonand hope as your people took it by prayingthefirst timeyou will now pray that it may never begiven up againwhich you then forgotBilly iswellbut in the countryI left him at TunbridgeWellswhere we spent a fortnightand he is nowgone with some company to see PortsmouthWehave been together over a great part of Englandthis summer and among other placesvisited thetown our father was born inand found somerelations in that part of the country still living
Our cousin Jane Franklindaughter of ouruncle Johndied about a year agoWe saw herhusbandRobert Pagewho gave us some oldletters to his wifefrom Uncle BenjaminIn one ofthemdated BostonJuly 41723he writes thatyour uncle Josiah has a daughter Janeabouttwelve years olda good-humoured childSo keepup to your characterand don't be angry whenyou have no lettersIn a little book he sent hercalledNone but Christ,”he wrote an acrostick on her namewhich for namesake's sakeas wellas the good advice it containsI transcribe andsend you
Illuminated from on high
And shining brightly in your sphere
Ne'er faintbut keep a steady eye
Expecting endless pleasures there.”
Flee vice as you'd a serpent flee
Raise faith and hope three stories higher
And let Christ's endless love to thee
Ne'er cease to make thy love aspire
Kindness of heart by words express
Let your obedience be sincere
In prayer and praise you God address
Nor ceasetill he can cease to hear.”
After professing truly that I had a great esteem and veneration for the pious authorpermitme a little to play the commentator and critic onthese linesThe meaning of three stories higherseems somewhat obscureYou are to understandthenthat faithhopeand charity have been called the three steps of Jacob's ladderreachingfrom earth to heavenour author calls them storieslikening religion to a building and theseare the three stories of the Christian edificeThusimprovement in religion is called building up andedificationFaith is then the ground floorhope isup one pair of stairsMy dear beloved Jennydon't delight so much to dwell in those lowerroomsbut get as fast as you can into the garretfor in truth the best room in the house is charityFor my partI wish the house was turned upsidedown'tis so difficultwhen one is fatto go upstairsand not only sobut I imagine hope andfaith may be more firmly built upon charitythancharity upon faith and hopeHowever that my beI think it the better reading to say——
Raise faith and hope one story higher.”
Correct it boldlyand I'll support the alterationforwhen you are up two stories alreadyifyou raise your building three stories higher youwill make five in allwhich is two more than thereshould beyou expose your upper rooms more tothe winds and stormsandbesidesI am afraidthe foundation will hardly bear them unlessindeed you build with such light stuff as straw andstubbleand thatyou knowwon't stand fireAgainwhere the author says
Kindness of heart by words express,”
strike out wordsand put in deedsThe world istoo full of compliments alreadyThey are the rankgrowth of every soiland choke the good plants ofbenevolenceand beneficencenor do I pretend tobe the first in this comparison of words and actionsto plantsyou may remember an ancient poetwhose works we have all studied and copied atschool long ago
A man of words and not of deeds
Is like a garden full of weeds.”
It is a pity that good worksamong some sorts ofpeopleare so little valuedand good wordsadmired in their steadI mean seemingly piousdiscoursesinstead of humane benevolent actionsThose they almost put out of countenanceby calling morality rotten moralityrighteousnessragged righteousnessand even filthy rags——andwhen you mention virtuepucker up their noses asif they smelt a stinkat the same time that theyeagerly snuff up an empty canting harangueas ifit was a pose of the choicest flowersSo they haveinverted the good old verseand say now
A man of deeds and not of words
Is like a garden full of——”
I have forgot the rhymebut remember'tissomething the very reverse of perfumeSo muchby way of commentary
My wife will let you see my lettercontainingan account of our travelswhich I would have youread to sister Dowseand give my love to herIhave no thoughts of returning till next yearandthen may possibly have the pleasure of seeing youand yourstaking Boston in my way homeMy
love to brother and all your childrenconcludes atthis time fromdear Jennyyour affectionatebrother
BFRANKLIN

评分

查看全部评分

回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-21 10:26:29 | 显示全部楼层
1.本杰明·富兰克林致

姐姐(简·梅科姆太太)

亲爱的姐姐:

我已收到你6月17日的来信。我很诧异,自我到英格兰后你再也没有收到我的任何信。我至少给你写过两封,而且在这封信之前还有第三封,紧接着在去看了你之后,我又给你寄去了我的照片。六月份我给本尼寄去了一箱书,还给他写了一封信;我希望他悉数收到,并希望他工作有长进。祝贺你征服了布里敦角,希望正如你的人民第一次通过祈祷得到了它一样,现在你们将祈祷它永远再也不会被丢弃,然后忘却这一切。比利很好,现在在乡下。我把他留在了膝布里奇韦尔斯,我们在那呆了两周,现在他又与别人结伴去参观朴次茅斯了。今年夏天我们一起游览了英格兰的大部分地区,其中,我们还参观了我们的父亲出生的小镇,并找到了一些在那个地区仍然健在的亲戚。

我们的表妹简·富兰克林,约翰叔叔的女儿,一年前去世了。我们见到了她的丈夫罗伯特·佩奇,他给了我们一些本杰明叔叔写给他妻子的信。在其中一封1723年7月4日写于波土顿的信中,他写到你们的叔叔乔赛亚有一个女儿名叫简,大约12岁,是一个快乐的孩子。因此请你保持这种性格,没有收到信也不要生气。在叔叔送给她的一本书名为《独一无二的耶稣》的薄书里,他以她的名义写了一首离合体诗。现在我把它抄录下来并寄给你,不仅因为你与她同名的缘故,而且因为其中包含了忠告。

“高高地照亮着,

在你的领地上明亮地闪耀着

不要迷迷糊糊,要全神贯注,

期待那里无尽的欢乐。

邪恶逃走了,就如同你驱走了恶魔;

把信仰和希望提高到三层楼之上,

让耶稣对你无尽的爱

从不停止激励你的爱。

去用语言表达善良的心,

让你的顺从成为一种真诚,

在祈祷中,赞美上帝的话语,

不要停止,直到上帝停止聆听。”

坦诚地说我对虔诚的作者怀着无限的尊敬和敬佩,接下来请允许我给这几行诗做一点注释和评论。“三层楼之上”其意似乎有点模糊不清。不过,你知道人们一直把忠诚、希望和慈悲称作雅各天梯的三级台阶,从地球伸向天堂;我们的作者把宗教比喻成楼房,于是把三级台阶称之为三层楼,而忠诚、希望和慈悲就是基督教圣殿的三层楼。因此宗教的升华就是渐进和顿悟。忠诚便是第一层,希望是第二层。我亲爱的詹妮,不要太满足于住在低层楼,而要尽可能迅速地上到顶层楼,因为事实上房子里最好的房间是慈悲。在我看来,我倒希望房子翻个个,因为上楼梯太难了(当一个人太胖时),不仅如此,我想还因为希望与忠诚较之于慈悲建立在忠诚与希望之上是更为牢固地建立在慈悲之上。无论怎样,我想这样说妥当一些——

“把忠诚与希望提高一层”。

我大胆地改正了它,当然我这样改变是有道理的;因为当你已上到两层楼时,如果你把你的楼房增高三层,总共就造了五层,比应该有的多了两层,这样上面的房间则更多地暴露于风雨之中;除此之外,恐怕地基也难以承受,除非你真的是用那些如此轻的材料诸如稻草和头发去建造,但你知道那是经不住火的。另外,作者说,

“用语言表达心灵的仁慈,”

删去“语言”一词,换上“行为”。这个世界充满了恭维,这些恭维在每一块土地上犹如杂草丛生,窒息掉慈善和德行这样的好植物。我并没有自命是第一个把言语和行为比做植物的;你或许记得一位古代诗人,很久以前在学校里,我们都读过并抄录过他的作品。

“一个只说不做的人

就像是长满杂草的花园。”

很遗憾一些好作品在某些人群中受到冷落,相反一些好的言辞却受到了赞美:我指的是那些似乎虔诚的演讲,而不是人类的仁慈行为。几乎令人局促不安的是那些人称道德为腐败的道德、正直为褴褛的正直,甚至是充满了污秽的褴褛——一提到美德,他们就皱起他们的鼻子,好像嗅到了一股臭味;与此同时,他们空话连篇,仿佛那是一种最好的花环。因此,他们把好的古诗前后颠倒,改写成:

“一个只做而不说的人

就像是花园长满了——”

我已忘记那句尾的韵脚,但记得那绝对不是什么好话。评述就这么多。

我妻子会给你看我的信,其中有我们旅行的记叙,希望你把信读给道斯妹妹听,代我向她问好。我想明年回来,这样可能有幸见到你和你们一家;并在返回时取道波士顿。向哥哥和你的所有的孩子问好。亲爱的詹妮,我就此搁笔,爱你的弟弟。

本·富兰克林

于伦敦

1758年9月16日
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-21 10:26:46 | 显示全部楼层
2 . John Adams to His Wife ( Abigail Adams )
2John Adams to His Wife
Abigail Adams

Prince Town New Jersey Aug28 th1774
My Dr.:
I received your kind letterat New Yorkand it is not easy for you to imagine the pleasure it has given meI have not found a single opportunity towrite since 1 left Bostonexcepting by the postand I don't choose to write by that conveyanceforfear of foul playBut as we are now within fortytwo miles of PhiladelphiaI hope there to findsome private hand by which I can convey this
The particulars of our journeyI mustreserveto be communicated after my returnItwould take a volume to describe the wholeIt hasbeen upon the whole an agreeable jauntWe havehad opportunities to see the worldand to formacquaintances with the most eminent and famousmen in the several colonies we have passed throughWe have been treated with unboundedcivilitycomplaisanceand respect
We yesterday visited Nassau Hall Collegeand were politely treated by the scholarstutorsprofessors and presidentwhom we arethis dayto hear preachTomorrow we reach the Theatre ofActionGod almighty grant us wisdom and virtuesufficient for the high trust that is devolved uponusThe spirit of the people wherever we have beenseems to be very favourableThey universallyconsider our cause as their ownand express thefirmest resolutionto abide the determination ofthe Congress
I am anxious for our perplexeddistressedprovince——hope they will be directed into theright pathLet me intreat youmy dearto makeyourself as easy and quiet as possibleResignationto the will of heaven is our only resource in suchdangerous timesPrudence and caution should beour guidesI have the strongest hopesthat weshall yet see a clearer skyand better times
Remember my tender love to my little NabbyTell her she must write me a letter andenclose it in the next you sendI am charmed withyour amusement with our little JohnnyTell him Iam glad to hear he is so good a boy as to read to hisMammafor her entertainmentand to keep himself out of the company of rude childrenTellhim I hope to hear a good account of his accidenceand nomenclaturewhen I returnKiss my littleCharley and Tommy for meTell them I shall beat home by November but how much sooner Iknow not
Remember me to all enquiring friends——particularly to Uncle Quincyyour Pappa andfamilyand DrTufts and familyMrThaxterI hopeis a good companionin your solitudeTellhimif he devotes his soul and body to his booksI hopenotwithstanding the darkness of thesedayshe will not find them unprofitable sacrificesin future
I have received three very obliging Lettersfrom TudorTrumbleand HillThey havecheered usin our wanderingsand done us muchservice
My compliments to MrWibirt and CollQuincywhen you see them
Your account of the rain refreshed meI hopeour husbandry is prudently and industriouslymanagedFrugality must be our supportOurexpensesin this journeywill be very great——our only reward will be the consolatory reflectionthat we toilspend our timeand tempt dangersfor the public good——happy indeedif we do anygood
The education of our children is never out ofmy mindTrain them to virtuehabituate them toindustryactivityand spiritMake them considerevery viceas shameful and unmanlyfire themwith ambition to be useful——make them disdainto be destitute of any usefulor ornamentalknowledge or accomplishmentFix their ambitionupon great and solid objectsand their contemptupon littlefrivolousand useless onesIt istimemy dearfor you to begin to teach themFrenchEvery decencygraceand honesty shouldbe inculcated upon them
I have kept a few minutes by way of journalwhich shall be your entertainment when I comehomebut we have had so many persons and sovarious characters to converse withand so manyobjects to viewthat I have not been able to be soparticular as I could wish——I amwith thetenderest affection and concernyour wandering
John Adams

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-21 10:27:00 | 显示全部楼层
2 .约翰·亚当斯致妻 (阿比盖尔·亚当斯)
2.约翰·亚当斯致妻
(阿比盖尔·亚当斯)

我亲爱的:
在纽约收到了你亲切的来信,你想象不出它给我带来的快乐。自离开波士顿我还没有找到哪怕一次给你写信的机会,虽然信可以通过邮寄,但我没有选择那种传递方式给你写信,因害怕恶作剧。不过,由于我俩同距费城不超过42英里,我希望在那儿找个人私下为我们传递这封信。
我们旅程的细节必须搁到我回来后再告诉你,因为整个旅行经历可以写成一本书。总的来说,那是一次令人愉快的游览。我们有机会看世界,并有机会在我们路经的几个殖民地结识那些最杰出的知名人士。那里的人盛情款待了我们,并对我们表示出极大的尊重。
昨天我们参观了纳索荷学院,受到了学者们、导师们、教授们和校长的礼遇,今天我们要去听他们演讲。明天我们要到行动礼堂。愿万能的上帝赐给我们智慧和美德,这足以使上帝高度信任我们。我们所到之处的人民精神面貌可嘉。他们普遍地认为我们的事业就是他们的事业,并表示出坚定的遵守国会决定的决心。
我为还在困惑和痛苦之中的人而忧虑——希望他们会被指引到正确的道路上去。亲爱的,我恳求你,尽可能使自己安逸和平静。在这个危险的年代里,顺从上帝的意志是我们唯一的精神支柱。我们的指导方针应该是谨慎小心。我最强烈的愿望就是:将来能看到一个更加晴朗的天空和更美好的时代。
请向我们的小南比转达我亲切的爱。告诉她一定给我写封信,并附在你下次给我写的信中。我为你和我们的小约翰厄逗乐而感到无比欣慰。告诉他我很高兴听说他是一个乖孩子,读书给他妈妈听以逗她开心,也不与那些粗俗的孩子为伍。告诉他我希望在回家时能看到他对词类和词尾变化掌握得很好。替我亲吻我的小查里和汤米。告诉他们我十一月份以前可以回家,但具体多早能回我还不知道。
请向所有问起我的朋友们问好——特别向昆西叔、你父亲及家人、塔富士博士及家人问好。我希望在你孤独时撒克斯特先生是一个好伴侣。告诉他,如果他将他的身心投入他的书中,尽管这些日子很阴暗,我希望,他会发现他的书在未来不是毫无价值的亏本销售。
我分别从图多尔、特朗勃和希尔那收到了三封鼓舞人心的信。在我们的长途旅行中,他们激励了我们,并给了我们很多帮助。
你见到威尔伯特先生、卡尔·克莱西先生和科尔·坎西时,请转达我对他们的祝贺。
你一提到雨,我顿觉精神振奋。我希望我们的农业要谨慎管理和苦心经营。勤俭是我们的立足之本。这次旅行的开支会很大——我们唯一的回报将是令人安慰的反思:我们为公众的利益辛劳工作、甘冒危险,并耗去了我们的时光,——如果我们做了有益的事,那的确令人感到幸福。
孩子们的教育问题总是萦绕于我的脑海中。培养他们良好的道德,使他们养成勤勉,充满活力和富有进取精神的习惯;让他们视每一种缺点为可耻和懦弱:激励他们要有雄心壮志成为有用之材——使他们鄙视缺乏有用知识的人和毫无成就的人;把他们的抱负建立在伟大、坚定的目标之上,而无视那些细小、琐碎和无价值的事情。亲爱的,是你开始教他们法语的时候了。应该让礼貌、优雅和诚实牢牢地铭刻于他们的心中。
我以日记的方式记了一些备忘录,待我回家时可让你浏览消遣。不过,我们有那么多不同的人物要交谈,有那么多的事物要观察,所以不能够如我所希望的那样详细叙述这一切。——接受我最温馨的爱和关怀,你的流浪者。
                                                                                       约翰·亚当斯
                                                                                       于新泽西普林斯镇
                                                                                       1774828
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-21 10:27:58 | 显示全部楼层
3 . Abigail Adams to Her Husband ( John Adams )
3Abigail Adams to Her Husband
John Adams

Braintree August19 1774
The great distance between usmakes thetime appear very long to meIt seems already amonth since you left meThe great anxiety I feelfor my countryfor you and for our family rendersthe day tedious and the night unpleasantTherocks and quick sands appear upon every sideWhat course you can or will take is all wrapt in thebosom of futurityUncertainty and expectationleave the mind great scopeDid ever any kingdomor state regain their liberty when once it wasinvaded without blood shedI cannot think of itwithout horror
Yet we are told that all the misfortunes of Sparta were occasioned by their too greatsolicitude for present tranquilityand by anexcessive love of peace they neglected the means ofmaking it sure and lastingThey ought to have reflected says Polibius that as there is nothingmore desirableor advantageous than peacewhenfounded in justice and honourso there is nothing more shameful and at the same time morepernicious when attained by bad measuresandpurchased at the price of liberty
I have received a most charming letter fromour friend MrsWarrenShe desires me to tellyou that her best wishes attend you through yourjourney both as a friend and patriot——hopes youwill have no uncommon difficulties to surmount orhostile movements to impede you——but if theLocrians should interrupt youshe hopes you willbeware that no future annals may say you chose anambitious Philip for your leaderwho built up amonarchy on the ruins of the happy institution
I have taken a very great fondness for reading Rollin's Ancient History since you left meI am determined to go thro with it if possible inthese my days of solitudeI find great pleasure andentertainment from itand I have persuadedJohnny to read me a page or two every dayandhope he will from his desire to oblige me entertaina fondness for it——We have had a charming rainwhich lasted 12 hours and has greatly revived thedying fruits of the earth
I want much to hear from youI long impatiently to have you upon the stage of actionThe first of September or the month of Septemberperhaps may be of as much importance to Great Britain as the Ides of March were to CaesarIwish you every public as wellas private blessingand that wisdom which is profitable both for instruction and edification to conduct you in thisdifficult day.——The little flock remember Papaand kindly wish to see himSo does your most affectionate
Abigail Adams

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-21 10:30:27 | 显示全部楼层
4 . Thomas Jefferson to His Nephew ( Peter Carr )
4Thomas Jefferson to His Nephew
Peter Carr

ParisAugust101787
Dear Peter,——I have received your twoletters of December the 30th and April the 18thand am very happy to find by themas well as byletters from MrWythethat you have been sofortunate as to attract his notice and good willIam sure you will find this to have been one of themost fortunate events of your lifeas I have everbeen sensible it was of mineI enclose you a sketchreadingwhich submit to his correctionMany ofthese are among your father's bookswhich youshould have brought to youAs I do not recollectthose of them not in his libraryyou must write tome for themmaking out a catalogue of such asyou think you shall have occasion forin eighteenmonths from the date of your letterandconsulting MrWythe on the subjectTo thissketchI will add a few particular observations
ItalianI fear that learning this language willconfound you French and SpanishBeing all ofthem degenerated dialects of the Latinthey areapt to mix in conversationI have never seen aperson speaking the three languageswho did notmix themIt is a delightful languagebut lateevents having rendered the Spanish more usefullay it aside to prosecute that
Moral PhilosophyI think it lost time toattend lectures on this branchHe who made uswould have been a pitiful bunglerif he had madethe rules of our moral conduct a matter of scienceFor one man of sciencethere are thousands whoare notWhat would have become of themMan was destined for societyHis moralitythereforewas to be formed to this objectHe was endowed with a sense of right and wrongmerely relative tothisThis sense is as much a part of his natureasthe sense of hearingseeingfeelingit is the truefoundation of moralityand not the to kaoltruthetc.,as fanciful writers have imaginedThe moral senseor conscienceis as much a partof man as his leg or armIt is given to all humanbeings in a stronger or weaker degreeas force ofmembers is given them in a greater or less degreeIt may be strengthened by exerciseas may any particular limb of the bodyThis sense is submittedindeedin some degreeto the guidance of reasonbut it is a small stock which isrequired for this even a less one than what we callcommon senseState a moral case to a plowmanand a professorThe former will decide it as welland often better than the latterbecause he has notbeen led astray by artificial rulesIn this branchthereforeread good booksbecause they willencourageas well as direct your feelingsThewritings of Sterneparticularlyform the bestcourse of morality that ever was writtenBesidestheseread the books mentioned in the enclosedpaperandabove all thingslose no occasion ofexercising your dispositions to be gratefulto begenerousto be charitableto be humaneto betruejustfirmorderlycourageousetc..Consider every act of this kind as an exercisewhich will strengthen your moral faculties andincrease your worth
TravelingThis makes men wiserbut lesshappyWhen men of sober age travelthey gatherknowledgewhich they may apply usefully for their countrybut they are subject ever after torecollections mixed with regrettheir affections areweakened by being extended over more objects and they learn new habits which cannot be gratifiedwhen they return homeYoung menwho travelare exposed to all these inconveniences in a higherdegreeto others still more serious and do notacquire that wisdom for which a previous foundation is requisite by repeated and justobservations at homeThe glare of pomp and pleasure is analogous to the motion of the bloodit absorbs all their affection and attentionthey aretorn from it as from the only good in this worldand return to their home as to a place of exile andcondemnationTheir eyes are forever turned backto the object they have lostand its recollectionpoisons the residue of their livesTheir first andmost delicate passions are hackneyed on unworthyobjects hereand they carry home the dregsinsufficient to make themselves or anybody elsehappyAdd to thisthat a habit of idlenessaninability to apply themselves to business isacquiredand renders them useless to themselvesand their countryThese observations are foundedin experienceThere is no place where your pursuit of knowledge will be so little obstructed byforeign objectsas in your own countrynor anywherein the virtues of the heart will be lessexposed to be weakenedBe goodbe learnedand be industriousand you will not want the aid oftravelingto render you precious to your countrydear to your friendshappy within yourselfIrepeat my adviceto take a great deal of exerciseand on foot Health is the first requisite aftermoralityWrite to me oftenand be assured of theinterest I take in your successas well as thewarmth of those sentiments of attachment withwhich I amdear Peteryour affectionate friend

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-21 10:30:40 | 显示全部楼层
4 .托马斯·杰弗逊致侄儿 (彼得·卡尔)
.托马斯·杰弗逊致侄儿
(彼得·卡尔)

亲爱的彼得,我已收到你1230日和418日的两封来信。从你和威思先生的来信中,我高兴地发现你很幸运地引起了威思先生的注意并获得了他的好感;我相信你会发现这是你生活中最幸运的事情,正如我的直觉告诉我的,那也是我的最幸运的事情。我附上一份学科概要,希望你按威思先生的建议去申请这些学科。我也提到这些学科中值得一读的书,当然以威思先生的指正为准。其中许多书都在你父亲的藏书中,可能你已随身带去。由于我不记得哪些书你父亲的书房中没有,所以你一定要为此给我写封信,把你认为从你写信的那天起至今后的十八个月内有机会接触到的书列出一个清单,并就此请教威思先生。对这个概要,我还将特别地补充几点我的看法:
意大利语。我怕学习意大利语会使你把法语和西班牙语与之混淆不清。这几种语言都是由拉丁语退化衍生出来的方言,所以容易在会话中混淆。我还从未见过一个人同时说这三种语言而没弄混的。意大利语是一门令人愉快的语言,但近来发生的事情倒使西班牙语用处更大。这个问题先放到一边再说吧。
道德哲学。我认为听这门课纯属浪费时间。如果要我们去听课的人把我们的道德行为准则定为一门科学,那么他定是一个可怜的工作拙劣的家伙。对于获有该学问的人来说,会有无数不懂该学问的人。他们的遭遇会是怎么样的呢?人是一个社会的人,因此,他的道德形成是为了达到这个目标。他被赋予仅与此有关的正误感。这种正误感就像听、说、感觉等一样是人本能的一部分;因而那是道德真正的基础,而不是如那些富于幻想的作家所幻想的那样是美、真等的真正基础。道德或良知,就像一个人的腿或胳膊一样,是他身体的一部分,并以一种或强或弱的形式赋予给人类,就像被赋予给人类的四肢力量有大有小一样。道德或良心可以通过实践而得到提高,就像身体的任何一个肢体可以通过锻炼变得强壮一样。在某种程度上,这种道德的确服从于理智的导向,但服从理智指导的道德只是很小的一部分,甚至比我们的常识还要少。如果对一个农民和一个教授陈述一宗道德案件,前者也会作出判定,而且常常还比后者判定得要好,因为他没有被人为制定的清规戒律引入歧途。因此,在这个方面,你要读好书,因为他们不但能给你鼓励而且能引导你的感觉,尤其是斯特恩的书,它们是已有的道德教科书中最好的教程。除此以外,还要读我在信里提到的那些书;最主要的,随时注意陶冶你的性情,要有感激之心,要慷慨大度,要有善心,要讲人道,要真实、公正、坚定、有条理、勇敢等等。把这其中的每一个方面的实践活动看作是一个可以提高你的道德水平和自身价值的锻炼。
旅游。旅游使人明智,却不那么快乐。中年人旅游,获得知识,并可能用这些知识服务为他们的国家服务。但在后来的岁月里,他们容易产生回忆,并夹带着遗憾;他们的情感因投入到众多的事物上而减弱;他们学到一些新习惯,却在返回自己的祖国时不能得到满足。年轻人旅游更易于遇到这类不便和其它更为严重的问题。他们没有获得那种见识,因为这需要以往的知识经历作为基础,而这个基础只有通过在家里反复和客观的观察才能建立。庄丽和光彩夺目好比血液的运动。炫耀凝聚着他们所有的情感和注意力,要从中分离,就像是与世上唯一的好东西分离,当他们返回到他们的家乡时,宛如回到了一个流放和服刑之地。他们的眼睛永远盯在他们已失去的事物对象上,其回忆毒害了他们的余生。他们最初的最亲近的情感被出租给这里的毫无价值的事物对象上,他们把糟粕带回家,使自己和别的人都不高兴。此外,他们养成了懒散的习气,丧失了干事业的能力,这使得他们既无助于自己,也无助于国家。这些观察是出自于自己的经历中。不存在这样的地方,在那儿你对知识的追求会像在自己国家那样极少受到外物的阻碍,也不存在这样的国家,在那儿你心灵的美德不会受到影响。要有教养,要有学问,要勤奋。不要依赖旅游的帮助使自己于国家宝贵,于朋友亲切,自我快乐。我重复我的忠告,多运动,多步行。健康是继德行之后人的第一需求。常给我写信,并确保我对你的成功总是感兴趣、总是充满着热情。亲爱的彼得,爱你的朋友。
                                                                                       于巴黎
                                                                                       1787810
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-21 10:31:37 | 显示全部楼层
5 . John Keats to His Brother ( Tom )
5John Keats to
His BrotherTom

I have not sufficient reasoning faculty to settlethe doctrine of thrift——as it is consistent with the dignity of human Society——with the happiness of Cottagers——all I can do is by plump contrasts——Were the fingers made to squeeze a guinea or a white handWere the Lips made to hold a pen or a KissAnd yet in Cities Man is shutout from his fellows if he is poorthe cottagermust be dirty and very wretched if she be notthrifty.——The present state of society demandsthis and this convinces me that the world is veryyoung and in a very ignorant state.——We live ina barbarous age On our walk in Ireland we hadtoo much opportunity to see the worse than nakednessthe ragsthe dirt and misery of thepoor common IrishA Scotch Cottagethough inthat sometimes the Smoke has no exit but at thedooris a palace to an Irish one We heard onpassing into Belfast through a most wretchedsuburb that most disgusting of all noisesI meanthe sound of the shuttleWhat a tremendous difficulty is the improvement of the conditions ofsuch peopleI cannot conceive how a mindwithchild of philanthropy could grasp at possibility——with me it is absolute despair

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-21 10:31:52 | 显示全部楼层
5.约翰·济慈致弟弟(汤姆)

我没有足够的推理能力去阐述清楚节俭学说——由于它与人类社会的高尚品德是一致的——与村民的幸福是一致的——所以我所能做的一切便是借助直接的对比——手指是用来拿钱的还是握白人手的?嘴唇是用来含铅笔的还是接吻的?然而在城里,一个人如果很穷就会被拒之于他的伙伴之外;一个村民如果不节俭定会变得龌龊和非常不幸。——社会目前的状况要求人们节俭,而这使我相信我们这个世界还很年轻,还处于一种无知的状态。——我们仍生活在一个野蛮的时代。……当我们在爱尔兰随处走走时,有太多的机会看到比贫穷的普通爱尔兰人的赤身裸体、衣衫褴褛、肮脏和不幸更为糟糕的景象。一间苏格兰人的农舍,尽管有时烟雾没有出口,只有从门里冒出来,对爱尔兰人来说,却是一个宫殿。……在穿过一个肮脏破旧的城郊进入贝尔法斯特时,我们听到了一种令人再讨厌不过的嘈杂声音。……我说的是织布梭子的声音。要想改善这些人的生活状况是何等困难。我难以想象一个“孕育着”博爱之心的人何以能抓住这种可能性——对于我来说,那简直使我感到绝望。
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-9-22 16:41:02 | 显示全部楼层
没了?
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-23 17:06:11 | 显示全部楼层
6 . John Keats to His Brother ( Fanny )
6John Keats to
His BrotherFanny

Dumfries July 2 nd 1818
My dear Fanny
I intended to have written you from Kirkcudbrightthe town I shall be in tomorrow——but Iwill write now because my Knapsack has worn mycoat in the Seams my coat has gone to the Taylorsand I have but one coat to my back in these partsI must tell you I went to Liverpool with George and our new Sister and the Gentlemanmy fellow traveller through the Summer andAutumn—— we had a tolerable journey to Liverpool——which I left the next morning beforeGeorge was up for Lancaster.——Then we setoff from Lancaster on foot with our Knapascks onand have walked a Little zig zag through themountains and lakes of Cumberland and Westmoreland—— We came from Carlisle yesterday to this place——We are employed ingoing up Mountains looking at strange townsprying into old ruins and eating very heartybreakfastsHere we are full in the Midst ofbroad ScocthHow is it a'wi yoursel”——the Girls are walking about bare footed and in theworst cottages the smoke finds its way out of thedoor.——Mr Abbey says we are Don Quixotes——tell him we are more generallytaken for PedlarsAll I hope is that we may not betaken for excise men in this whiskey countryWeare generally up about 5 walking before breakfastand we complete our 20 miles before dinner.——Yesterday we visited Burn's Tomb and thismorning the fine Ruins of Lincluden.——I haddone thus far when my coat came back fortified atall points——so as we lose no time we set forthagain through Galloway——all very pleasant andpretty with no fatigue when one is used to it——We are in the midst of Meg Merrilies' country ofwhom I suppose you have heard
Old Meg she was a Gipsy
And liv'd upon the Moors
Her bed it was the brown heath turf
And her house was out of doors

Her apples were swart blackberries
Her currants pods o' broom
Her wine was dew o'the wild while rose
Her book a churchyard tomb

No breakfast had she many a day morn
No dinner many a noon
And'stead of supper she would stare
Full hard against the Moon

Old Meg was brave as Margaret Queen
And tall as Amazon
An old red blanket cloak she wore
A chip hat had she on

God rest her aged bones somewhere
She died full long agone
If you like these sort of Ballads I will now andthen scribble one for you——if I send any to TomI'll tell him to send them to you I have so manyinterruptions that I cannot manage to fill a Letterin one day——since I scribbled the song we havewalked through a beautiful Country to
Kirkcudbright——at which place I will write you asong about myself
There was a naughty Boy
A naughty boy was he
He would not stop at home
He would not quiet be——
He took
In his Knapsack
A book
Full of vowels
And a shirt
With some towels——
A slight cap
For night cap——
A hair brush
Comb ditto
New Stockings
For old ones
Would split O
This Knapsack
Tight at's back
He rivetted close
And followed his nose To the North
To the North
And followed his noseTo the North
There was a naughty Boy
And a naughty Boy was he
He ran away to Scotland
Then he found
That the ground
Was as hard
That a yard
Was as long
That a song
Was as merry
That a cherry
Was as red——
That lead
Was as weighty
That fourscore was as eighty
That a door
Was as wooden
As in England——
So he stood in
His shoes
And he wondered
He wondered
He stood in his
Shoes and he wonder'd
My dear FannyI am ashamed of writing yousuch stuff nor would I if it were not for beingtired after my day's walkingand ready to tumbleinto bed so fatigued that when I am asleep youmight sew my nose to my great toe and trundle meround the town like a Hoop without waking meThen I get so hungry a Ham goes but a very littleway and fowls are like Larks to me——A batch ofBread I make no more ado with than a sheet ofparliamentand I can eat a Bull's head as easilyas I used to do Bull's eyes I take a whole string ofPork Sausages down as easily as a Penorth ofLady's fingersAh dear I must soon be contentedwith an acre or two of oaten cake a hogshead ofMilk and a basket of Eggs morning noon and nightwhen I get among the Highlanders
Your affectionate Brother John——

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-23 17:06:23 | 显示全部楼层
6.约翰·济慈致弟弟(范尼)

我亲爱的范尼:

我原打算明天到达刻古布立时再给你写信,但现在我就写了,因为背包把我衣服的接缝处磨破了,我已把它送到裁缝店去缝补,所以现在身上只穿着一件衣服了。有必要告诉你,我是和乔治、新结识的一位修女以及整个夏季与秋季与我同行的一位绅士一起去利物浦的。——旅程还比较愉快——我于次日早晨离开利物浦前往兰卡斯特,乔治随后也动身前来。随后我们又从兰卡斯特出发,肩上背着我们的行囊,沿着一条弯弯曲曲的小路,一路步行穿过了昆布兰和威斯特摩兰的群山和湖泊。——昨天我们从喀来尔来到了这个地方——便忙于上山、观看陌生的城镇、考察古老的废墟、吃着丰盛的早餐。在这儿,我们完全置身于一片苏格兰方言之中,如:“一切,哦,顺利”。——女孩子们光着脚四处闲逛;在简陋的农舍里,炊烟夺门而出。阿比先生说我们是堂吉诃德——说实在的人们更通常把我们看作小贩。我所希望的就是在这个威士忌的国度里,人们不会以为我们是收税官。我们通常五点钟左右起床,早餐之前开始行走,晚餐之前走完20英里。——昨天我们参观了伯恩墓,今天早晨参观了保存完好的林克卢登的遗迹——到此我就做了这件事,我那外套在全部加固后也送来了。为了不浪费时间,我们再次动身穿过加罗威角。一路上很愉快有趣、毫无疲惫感,一个人一旦适应了这种行程定会如此。我们现在行进在梅格·梅里莱斯的故土上,我想你听说过她吧!

年老的梅格,她是一个吉普赛人,

住在旷野之地,

落满棕色楠叶的草地是她的床,

露天是她的房屋。

黝黑的黑莓是她的果子,

金雀花的果实是她的小葡萄干,

野玫瑰上的露珠是她的酒,

教堂墓地的坟是她的书。

不止一个早晨她没有早餐,

不止一个中午她没有午餐,

替代晚餐的是她的凝视,

全神贯注地凝望着月亮。

年老的梅格像玛格丽特女王一样勇敢,

像古希腊女勇士一样高,

身穿一件旧的红毯子披风,

头戴一顶棕叶草帽。

上帝安置了她年迈的骨头,

很久以前她安详地死去。

如果你喜欢这类民谣,我会不时地为你涂写一首。如果我给汤姆寄去了这类诗,我会告诉他要他再寄给你。经常有人打搅我,所以我无法在一天里写完一封信。——自从我胡画下了那首歌,我们已走过一个美丽的乡村来到了柯尔库布里郡——在这个地方我愿给你写一首描述我自己的歌。

有一个调皮的男孩

他就是一个调皮的男孩

他不愿在家中停留

他不甘于寂静——

他带了

在他的行囊里

一本书

满载着哲理

一件衬衣

几条毛巾——

一顶轻便帽

当作夜幕

一把发刷

梳理头发

新袜子

因为旧袜子

会破哦!

这个行囊

鼓鼓的

在背上

他拉上了它

笔直朝前走

去到北方

去到北方

笔直朝前走

去到北方

有一个顽皮的男孩

他就是一个顽皮的男孩

他跑到了苏格兰

他发现

大地

是坚硬的

院子

是长长的

是欢乐的

草莓

是红红的

铅锤

是重重的

四十的两倍

是八十

是木制的

与英格兰一样

因此处在

这个地位

他惊讶

他惊讶

他处在这个地位

他惊讶

亲爱的范尼,很不好意思写给你这样的东西,假如不是在白天步行之后感到如此疲倦,我也不会写出这样的东西。现在我正准备上床睡觉,我是如此疲惫不堪,以致在我睡下之后,如果你将我的鼻子和大脚趾头缝在一起,在城里像滚呼拉圈一样地滚动我,也不会把我弄醒;我又是如此饥饿不堪,一片火腿只够塞我的牙缝,家禽于我仿佛云雀。一炉面包我能毫不费力地吃下,易如吃下一片薄姜饼;一头公牛的头我能轻松地吃下,就像过去吃掉它的眼睛;一整串猪肉香肠,在我眼里不过是女士纤细的手指。哎呀,早晨、中午和晚上,如果有一两亩麦片糕,一豪格海牛奶和一篮子鸡蛋我就心满意足了,此时我溶入了苏格兰高原人之中。

爱你的哥哥,

约翰

于敦夫里斯

1818年7月2日
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-23 17:06:38 | 显示全部楼层
7 . Edgar Allan Poe to His Stepfather ( John Allan )
7Edgar Allan Poe to
His StepfatherJohn Allan

RichmondmondayMarch191827
Sir
After my treatment on yesterday and what passed between us this morningI can hardly thinkyou will be surprised at the contents of this letterMy determination is at length taken——to leaveyour house and endeavor to find some place in thiswide world where I will be treated——not as youhave treated me——This is not a hurried determination but one on which I have longconsidered——and having so considered my resolution is unalterable——You may perhapsthink that I have flown off in a passion,&that Iam already wishing to returnBut not so——I willgive you the reasons which have actuated meandthen judge——
Since I have been able to think on any subjectmy thoughts have aspired and they have beentaught by you to aspireto eminence in publiclife——this cannot be attained without a goodEducationsuch a one I cannot obtain at a Primaly school—— A collegiate Education therefore waswhat I most ardently desired and I had been led toexpect that it would at some future time be granted——but in a moment of caprice——youhave blasted my hope because forsooth I disagreedwith you in an opinionwhich opinion I was forcedto express——Again I have heard you saywhenyou little thought I was listening and thereforemust have said it in earnest that you had noaffection for me——
You have moreover ordered me to quit yourhouse and are continually upbraiding me witheating the bread of Idlenesswhen you yourselfwere the only person to remedy the evil by placingme to some business——You take delight in exposing me before those whom you think likely toadvance my interest in this world——
You suffer me to be subjected to the whimscaprice not only of your white family but thecomplete authority of the blacks——these grievances I could not submit to and I am goneI request that you will send me my trunk containing my clothes books——and if you stillhave the least affection for me As the last call Ishall make on your bounty to prevent thefulfillment of the Prediction you this morningexpressedsend me as much money as will defraythe expenses of my passage to some of theNorthern cities then support me for one monthby which time I shall be enabled to place myself insome situation where I may not only obtain alivelihood but lay by a sum which one day oranother will support me at the University——Sendmy trunk to the Courthouse Tavern send me Ientreat you some money immediately——as I am inthe greatest necessity——If you fail to complywith my request——I tremble for the consequence
It depends upon yourself if hereafter you seeor hear from me
Yours
Edgar APoe

回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-23 17:06:45 | 显示全部楼层
7.埃德加·爱伦·坡致

继父(约翰·爱伦)

先生:

在您昨天那样对待我以及今天早晨我们俩之间所发生的事情之后,我有理由认为您看到我这封信后不会感到惊讶。我终于下了决心——要离开您的家,要到这个大世界设法找一个地方,在那儿我会受到不同于您给我的待遇。——这不是一个草率的决定,而是一个考虑已久的决心——经过这样深思熟虑之后,我是不会改变的。——您或许会认为我是在盛怒之下离家的,现在正想着回家;但决不是这样——我会告诉您我出走的理由,尔后您去评判吧。

自从我能对任何事情进行思考起,我就有了追求,这均是您教导出来的,要有抱负,要在社会上出人头地——没有良好的教育我无法达到目的,而像这样的教育我又无法在小学获得——因而大学教育便是我最迫切渴望的。您使我以为在未来的某个时候我会得到这份教育,但天有不测风云——您打破了我的希望,因为的确在一个看法上我与您的意见有分歧,这个看法我被迫在此向您再一次说明,我听到您说(您根本没想到我在听,因此一定说得很认真)您根本不爱我。

而且您还要我离开您的家,不断地斥责我吃闲饭,而您是唯一能通过让我做点什么事以使我改正这个弊病的人。您还喜欢安插我于那些您认为可能提高我对这个世界的兴趣的人之中。

您要我不仅屈服你们白人家庭的恣意摆布,还要屈服整个黑人种族的权威。这些委屈我不能忍受,所以我出走了。假如您对我还有那么一丁点儿爱心的话,我请求您把我那装有衣服和书籍的箱子寄给我。我最后求您施舍给我一些钱,以供我支付到北方的一些城市所需的开支以及一个月的生活费,以免您今天早晨的预言应验。到那时,我将能够自己谋求一份工作得以生存,并能积攒一笔钱,总有一天可供我上大学。——请把箱子等寄到郡政府客栈,我恳求您立即给我寄一些钱来——我急需——如果您不答应我的请求,其后果会令我不寒而栗。

如果您想在以后见到我或收到我的信,这一切均取决于您自己。

您的

埃德加·埃·坡

于里乞蒙星期一

1827年3月19日
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-23 17:06:57 | 显示全部楼层
8.Margaret Fuller to

Her Brother(Arthur B.Fuller)

Jamaica Plain

20th,December1840

It is not, my dear Arthur, because I“have solittle to say to you” that my letters are short,butbecause bad health and many engagements oblige me to such economy of time.You know, too,that writing is of all occupations,the very worst for mymalady,and as I must do a great deal at any rate Iabstain always when I can.Bear this in mind, anddon't measure my interest in your pursuits, oraffection for yourself by the number or length of my lettets.

I continue to manage very well.The fatted pig is killed, and was found in good order' not-withstanding your and Richard's evil omens fromthe character of our prodigal son here.We banquet on pork rather more constantly than is agreeable to a“true believer” like my self.

My other life continues its usual course.I have been to hear the Sonnambula,but with scarce more satisfaction than our fastidious Richard derived from his concert,of which,I suppose, he has given you an account.

The news of Ellen's illness was sad to me bothon her account and Mother's over whose visit acloud is cast at once. Mr Keats's letter to me waskind and clear.She will have, I am sure, all theattention and wise counsel she needs.The feverwas gone and only a rheumatic affection remainedof which the physician thought she would soon befree. I shall hope very soon to hear again.

About your school I do not think I can giveyou much advice which would be of value unless Iknew your position more in detail. The importantrule is, as in all relations with our fellowcreatures, Never forget that, if they are imperfectpersons, they are immortal souls, and treat themas you would wish to be treated by the light of thatthough.

As to the application of means——Abstainfrom punishment as much as possible and use encouragement as far as you can without flattery.But be even more careful as to strict truth in thisregard towards children than to persons of yourown age.For to the child the parent or teacher isthe representative of Justice, and as that of life issevere,an education which in any degree, excitesvanity is the very worst preparation for that general and crowded school.

I doubt not you will reach grammar well,as Isaw you aimed at principles in your practise,——In geography, try to make pictures of the scenes,that they may be present to their lmaglnatlon, andthe nobler faculties be brought into action as wellas memory——In history study and try to paint thecharacters of great men; they best interpret theleadings of events amid the nations.

I am pleased with your way of speaking of both people and pupils, your view seems from theright point, yet beware of over great pleasure inbeing popular or even beloved.As far as an amiable disposition and powers of entertainment make you so, it is a happiness, but is there onegrain of plausibility,it is poison.——But I willnot play Mentor much, lest I make you averse towrite to your very affte sister

Margaret
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注~册

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|咖啡日语

GMT+8, 2024-5-7 11:52