[复制链接]
 楼主| 发表于 2008-9-23 17:14:32 | 显示全部楼层
31.John O'hara to His

Daughter(Wylie O'hara)(Ⅱ)

TLS,1 p.Mrs.Doughty

Quogue,Long Island

16 September1962,Sunday

My dear:

Well,here we are——but not here.You at St.Tim's,Sister in Princeton,and me in Quogue,andanother brand new year is about to start for you.For me,too.I always seem to approach the autumnin the frame of mind that spring induces in mostpeople.The excitement of new things;the newplays,the new books,new clothes,etc.,etc.,etc.At the same time the autumn for me is a season ofa sweet melancholy that is hard to explain.I lovethe early evenings,the leaves burning,the lights inhouses.

It is the beginning of a big year for you,inmany respects your biggest so far.By the time Junecomes around you will be 18,and graduating fromschool.In the past week or so I have called you“Kid” but subconsciously I have been doing thatbecause your kid days are over,or just about.I suspect that you are going through the experienceof first love,and no matter what else happens,afterthat experience you are never a kid again.

Most of the nice things we associate withbeing a kid are okay——while you are still a kid.But you gain more than you lose.You gain inunderstanding standing,in appreciation of people,in understanding and appreciation of yourself.Youbegin to see the wisdom in that quotation I have sooften repeated to you:to thine own self be true.Every year at this time I have repeated thatquotation to you,and the time is not really too fardistant when you will be passing it on to your ownchildren.It is probably the best single piece ofadvice I can give you,or you can give them.

You have done well,and I am pleased withyou,not only for what you have done,but for whatyou are.As Miss Finnegan said to Sister,“Wyliehas the right reactions.”So good luck in yourSenior Year,and always know that the old manloves you very much.

Always

Dad
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-23 17:14:41 | 显示全部楼层
31.约翰·奥哈拉致

女儿(威利·奥哈拉)(2)

我亲爱的:

好了,我们到了——但不是到这儿。你在圣·蒂姆斯,西斯特在普林斯顿,而我在奎基,对你来说崭新的一年又开始了。对于我,也是如此。我似乎总是带着一种春天在大多数人身上所激发的心情走近秋季。新生事物给人们带来的兴奋;新剧目、新书、新服装,等等,等等,等等。同时,秋天对于我则是带着美丽的忧郁的季节。这是难以用言语表达的。我爱黄昏,爱像火一样燃烧着的红艳艳的树叶,爱房屋里的灯光。

对你来说,这是至关重要的一年的开始,从许多方面来说这是你最重要的一年。到六月份你就18岁了,将中学毕业。在过去的几周里,我称你为“小孩子”,但在潜意识里我这样做是因为你的少年时代已经过去,或正要过去。我猜想你已在经历你的初恋,不管发生什么,有过初恋的经历之后,你再也不是小孩子了。

与当个孩子相关的许多美好的事物都是很不错的——然而你仍然是个孩子。但你将得到比所失去的更多的东西。你将得到理解、人们的欣赏,以及你对你自己的理解和欣赏。你将明白我常常告诉你的那句话所隐含的智慧:真诚地对待你自己。每一年的这个时候我都对你重复这句话,而且这离你把这句话告诉你的孩子们的时候也为时不远了。这句话也许是我能够给你的最好的一条建议,或许也是你能够给你的孩子们的最好的一条建议。

你做得很好,我对你很满意,并不只是因为你所做的那些事,而且因为你本人。就像芬尼根小姐对西斯特所说的那样“威利反应敏捷”。因此,祝你中学的最后一年交好运,并且永远记住,我这个老人非常爱你。

永远爱你的,爸爸

于奎基,长岛,星期日

1962年9月16日
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-23 17:14:48 | 显示全部楼层
32.John O'hara to

His Daughter(Wylie O'hara)(Ⅲ)

Princeton

1963,Sunday

My dear:

You left this cheque on the table in the livingroom.You will recall that as soon as you asked foryour allowance,I went to my study and wrote outthe cheque and brought it in and gave it to you,because you were going to need it the next day inNew York.

This cheque is for a larger amount than myentire allowance any year that I was in boarding school.In 1963 it represents approximately the royalty after taxes on the sale of nearly 1000books.It is almost twice as much as I earned as areporter on the Herald Tribune,and I supportedmyself on that salary.That is,I paid for all myroom,board,clothes,and fun on that salary.I hadno other income.I therefore take a rather dim viewof your casual attitude toward a cheque for $275.

This is,I suppose,your swinging year,and Iwant you to have a good time.Nevertheless I want you from time to time to give mature thought tocertain matters.Every cent,every single cent,thatis spent on you,and that you spend,comes out ofmoney that I have earned by hard,hard work.Notone single cent of your mother's or grandmother'smoney had been touched.Your car,for instance,cost me as much money as I have,after taxes,fromthe sale of four New Yorker stories.Your year atBennett will have cost me as much as I netted,aftertaxes,on the sale of A FAMILY PARTY.

As authors go,I am,as I told you,a rich man.But there are not many authors who make nearlyas much money as I do,and I do it because I amgood and because I work very hard.In the midst ofyour good time I want you to stop and think oncein a while about where the money comes from;notonly because it has come from my hard work,butbecause it is absolutely necessary for you yourselfto get some perspective on your own financialposition.When you have finished your educationyou are going to have to go to work,to earn asalary.I will be 59 in January,and it is just kiddingmyself to think that I can go on working this handand earning this kind of money,and I do not oftenkid myself.At 21 you will be coming into somemoney,but as I have often told you,it is not goingto be enough to make you Miss Richbitch or topermit you to live as Miss Richbitch.I am lettingyou have a good time now,because this is the timeto have it,when you are young.But I would bedoing you no favor if I failed to remind you of thehard realities.One of the hardest realities is moneyand the handling of it.Another is the fact that untilyou marry,and possibly even after,you are goingto be a working-girl I am very fond of most of yourfriends,but you must not get into the habit oftaking for granted that I am as rich as some oftheir fathers.I'm not.I have earned as much in oneyear as you will inherit from your mother's estate.And you will only get the income from your grandmother's trust fund;the principal is held intrust for your children.

Now,and during the months ahead,I want youto direct your thoughts toward your own future,the kind of work you want to do,the kind of manyou want to marry,the contributions you can maketo your marriage,and the future wellbeing of yourchildren.I assure you that if you do this you willenjoy yourself more than if you enjoy yourselfaimlessly.

Love,

Dad
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-23 17:14:55 | 显示全部楼层
32.约翰·奥哈拉致

女儿(威利·奥哈拉)(3)

亲爱的女儿:

你把这张支票忘在了起居室的桌子上。当你想要津贴的时候,你就会想起这张支票了。当时这张支票是我去书房填好后带来给你的,因为你第二天去纽约时需要它。

这张支票比我当年读寄宿学校时任何一年的全部津贴的数额都大。在1963年,它大约相当于卖掉近1000本书扣除税收后所能得到的版税。它几乎是我在《民权先驱报》当记者时所挣工资的两倍,而我当时就靠这份工资生活。也就是说,我用这份工资支付所有的衣食住行以及娱乐费用。我没有其他的收入。因此,你对这张价值275美元的支票的随意态度,使我深感失望。

我估计,今年是你生活中丰富多彩的一年,我希望你过得愉快。但不管怎样,我希望你能时常对某些事情深思熟虑地想一想。每一分钱,花在你身上的每一分钱以及你所花掉的每一分钱,都是我辛辛苦苦地工作挣来的。我没有动用过你母亲和你祖母留下的一分钱。比如说,你的小汽车,用掉了我出售四部关于纽约人的小说所得的所有税后收入。你在本内特一年将花掉我出售《一个家庭聚会》所得的所有税后纯收入。

如同我告诉你的,在作家中我是比较富有的。但并非许多作家都能挣到我这么多的钱,我之所以能做到这一切,是因为我有能力并且我勤奋工作。在你度过美好时光之时,我希望你能停下来想一想钱是从哪里来的。不仅仅因为它来自于我的勤奋工作,而且因为它对你自己建立独立的经济地位观是完全必要的。当你完成学业后,你将参加工作,将去挣工资。到一月份我就59岁了,要想我能继续如此勤奋工作,挣这么多的钱,简直是自欺欺人,我极少欺骗自己。你到21岁时,将能继承一笔钱,但正如我常常告诫你的,这笔钱并不足以使你成为富家小姐或过像富家小姐那样的生活。现在,我使你过着愉快的生活,因为你还小,正是享受快乐生活的时候。但是,如果我未能让你认识到这些严峻的现实,对你是没有任何好处的。在这些严竣的现实中,其中之一就是钱以及如何使用钱。另一个就是,在你结婚之前,甚至可能在结婚之后,你都得工作。对你多数的朋友,我都很喜欢,但你不能养成这样的习惯,想当然地以为我和他们中某些人的父亲一样富有。我并不富有。我一年所挣的钱与你将从你母亲的遗产中所能继承的钱一样多。而且,你只能得到你祖母的托管金的收入 部分,而本金是给你的子女的。

目前,以及在以后的几个月中,我希望你多考虑考虑你的未来,你想干什么样的工作,你想和哪样的人结婚,你能为你的婚姻做些什么贡献,以及你的子女的将来的幸福。我保证,如果你多想一想这些,一定比你毫无目的地享乐更加充实愉快。

爱你的,

爸爸

于普林斯顿

1963年星期日
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-23 17:15:02 | 显示全部楼层
33.Randall Jarrell

to His Wife(Mackie Jarrell)

April5,1943

Darling:

You should see me sorting the mail at Ⅱ and 4;I stand in front of an enormous box with about twenty sub-divisions,and flip the letters in,just as if I were hitting a ping-pong backhand.The turnover of labor in the mail room is enormous;about half the ones who were working when I began have been shipped away,and I was glad tosee them go.The head of the mail room,a firstclass private,cares passionately about the mailroom and is always worrying and exhorting;he isvery stupid and rarely can understand anything thefirst time.All the replacements are dumb drivencattle,who don't talk at all compared to the oldgang,and that's a gift from God.

Some parts of the work are moderately pleasant;the names,a tenth of them,are queerbeyond belief.Then the places they're beingshipped to work on me powerfully,like the Christmas Store Window and the poor child.Andsome are very odd:the Sea Searcb Attack Group and the Prov.Engr.Airborne Regiment,Sedalia,Knobnoster,Mo.Ask me no questions for fear Ishould reply.One of the funniest forwarding addresses was Corporal So-and-so,Anti- Submarine Detachment,Exeter Apartments,Galveston.I suppose he sits on the roof of theapartment with field glasses and a rifle.

The best thing about the mail room is that it'srelatively off to itself and unmilitary.We're littlebothered by officers and non-commissioned officers,both of whom I'm growing to dislikemore and more.This is an illustrative incident:I got paid for the first time yesterday ——it wasobviously my first time.I was supposed to salutethe lieutenant sitting at the table and say,“Private Jarrell,Randall,sir.”I didn't know thatand left off the Private;the officer corrected mevery unpleasantly and acted as if I'd committed acrime.

Writing the addresses on the envelopes stirsmuch envy in me;Peabody College,Nashville,andothers to San Marcos and all sorts of charming colleges——lucky cadets!What funny names people have:they're a great pleasure to the postalemployee.I'm afraid that as long as I have this job,my letters will suffer.Letters about letters(andthe outside of letters at that)aren't a rewarding genre.

How I wish I could see Kitten drinking out of the bathtub.I was as surprised as if you'd told mehe'd taken to walking on the ceiling.

We had spareribs for lunch,and I was givensix——and the smallest was about eleven incheslong.There was so much bone I couldn't helpthinking of the boy's remark about education——to have gained so little and have gone through somuch;except I've forgotten how it went.

I think perhaps if I ever have time I can writesome good dreary poems about the army,and thewar;but they won't be printable while I'm in thearmy,and they won't be liked by anybody until the20's——when those return.

Even though my job is hard and long,it's stillwonderful not to have the rollcalls,the drill,theaimless waiting and waiting,and all the rest.

I'll write to Lambert Davis and ask himwhether Harcourt Brace minds my using“Orestes”and five or six poems for a New Directions anthology(they can reprint them in my secondbook with them).If they don't want me to presumably it'll only be because they want another of mine fairly soon.

My,what fun it'll be to think about articlesand poems and books and things after the war.Maybe I'll even get industrious,any industry willseem so mild compared to the wicked army.Andwhat a paradise of amusements Austin willseem——a perfect Coney Island.

I love you so much,darling,and miss you.I'llwrite you again tomorrow.You're my darling.Ilove you.

Your

Randall
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-23 17:15:12 | 显示全部楼层
33.兰德尔·贾雷尔致

妻(麦凯·贾雷尔)

亲爱的:

你应该看看我在11点钟和4点钟分捡邮件的样子,我站在一个巨大的邮箱前,这个邮箱大约有20个分箱,我迅速地把信投进去,就像我在用反手击球法打乒乓球。邮局的员工调换量很大,我开始工作时的那些员工已被换走了一半,我很高兴看到他们离开这里。邮局的主管,是个陆军一等兵,对邮局非常关心,总在担心,并不停地告诫大家。他非常笨,少有听一次就能明白一件事的时候。所有新替换上的人与过去的那帮人相比,都是不说话的任人驱赶的牲口,他们一句话都不说,这真是上帝赐予的礼物。

这个工作的某些部分令人相当愉快:人名,有十分之一的人名奇怪得难以令人置信。还有一些即将送去邮件的地名也令我感到非常有趣,比如:圣诞节商店的橱窗与穷孩子。还有一些非常古怪:海洋搜索攻击小组,工程空降团省,细达里亚,克诺布诺斯特,密苏里。不要向我提问,我怕回答不了。送达地址中最有趣的一个是某某下士,反潜艇舰队,艾希特部,加耳维斯敦,我猜测他正拿着望远镜和步枪坐在公寓的楼顶上。

邮局的最大优点是这里相对空闲些,并且没有武装。军官和军士们几乎不来找我们的麻烦,我越来越不喜欢这些人。还有一件小事:我昨天第一次得到报酬——这显然是第一次。我本该对坐在桌旁的代理官员行礼并说:“列兵贾雷尔·兰德尔,长官”。但我不知道这个规矩,省略掉了“列兵”;长官很不高兴地纠正了我的错误,好像我犯了罪似的。

往信封上写地址常使我感到非常嫉妒:匹博第学院,纳士维,其他寄往圣玛可斯学院和各种各样的好学院——幸运的军校学员!多么有趣的人名:他们是邮局雇员的极大乐趣。恐怕,只要我干这一行,我写的信就会遭罪。因为关于信(以及信的外部)的信不是一种值得写的作品类型。

我多希望能看到小猫在浴缸外喝水的样子。我感到十分吃惊,犹如你告诉我,他喜欢在天花板上行走一样。

我们中午吃了排骨,给了我六根——最短的一根大约有11英寸长。如此多的骨头,使我不禁想起孩子对教育的评论——得到如此之少,而经历如此之多;除非我忘记这个过程。

我想,如果我有时间,我会写一些很好的关于部队和战争的忧郁诗;但这些诗在我的服役期不能发表,它们要到20年代才会受人喜爱——假若时光倒流。

尽管我的工作既辛苦,时间又长,但优点是没有点名、训练、漫无目的的等待、再等待,以及其他所有的一切。

我将写信给兰伯特·戴维斯,问问他,哈考特·布雷斯是否介意我用《奥列斯特》和五、六首诗编一本《新方向》诗集(他们可以在我的第二部书中与它们一起重印)。若他们不愿我这样,那么只可能是因为他们想要我尽快再写其他的诗。

哎,想一想战后的文章、诗歌、书籍和其他的事多么有趣啊。也许我将会更加勤奋,但无论如何勤奋,与令人厌恶的军队相比都是轻松的。奥斯汀看起来将会像一个多么好的天堂——一个完美无缺的蹄兔岛。

亲爱的,我是如此地爱你、想念你。我明天会再给你写信,你是我心爱的人。我爱你。

你的,

兰德尔

1943年4月5日
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-23 17:15:20 | 显示全部楼层
34.Randall Jarrell to His

Mother(Anna Regan)

January 1963

Dear Mother:

I do hope you're feeling a lot better now.School's started again for us and I'm mainly tryingto finish Crime and Punishment before the end ofthe term.It was a great pleasure for us getting totalk to you Christmas.I got a pretty stripedEnglish shirt from Brooks Brothers with my half ofthe Christmas check you sent us;Mary got a beautiful pink blouse at Bergdorf Goodman.Thankyou so much.

There was a nice mention in Time of A SadHeart we cut it out to send you,so as to be sureyou'd see it.

Did I tell you that I've just finished anotherchildren's book?It's named The Bat-Poet and hasseveral poems inside the story.I really enjoyedwriting it a lot,and felt almost as if I'd written agrown-up story.

Little Marie[Boyette]certainly has grown;she looks more like a small girl than a big baby.I gave Mary a little Georgian child's chair for aChristmas present,and little Marie liked sitting init.

Bea has fixed her apartment awfully prettily;she and Gerhard are happy as can be.

Your Christmas sounded awfully nice,both forall the visits and all the presents.We didn't havemuch snow compared with yours;so far this hasbeen rather a warm mild winter here——sunny,too.

Write and tell us how you're feeling now;Ihope very much you're beginning to feel like yourold self.

With lots of love

Randall
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-23 17:15:26 | 显示全部楼层
34.兰德尔·贾雷尔致

母亲(安娜·里甘)

亲爱的妈妈:

我真心希望您现在身体好多了。我们又开学了,在这学期结束之前我将主要努力完成“犯罪与惩罚”这门课。与您谈圣诞节让我们感到非常愉快。您寄给我们的圣诞支票,我用了一半从布鲁克斯兄弟商店买了一件很漂亮的带条纹的英国衬衫;玛丽在泊格朵夫先生商店买了一件美丽的粉红色的罩衫。非常感谢您。

《时代》上登了一篇对《忧伤的心》的很好的评论,我们把它剪下来给您寄去,以使您能看到它。

我告诉过您我刚刚完成了一本儿童读物了吗?它名叫《蝙蝠诗人》,故事里有几首诗。我真的感到写这本书十分愉快,感觉几乎就像写成年人的小说。

小玛丽(博耶特)当然长大了;她看起来更像一个小女孩,而不像一个大婴儿。我送给玛丽一个佐治 亚州的小童椅作为圣诞礼物,小玛丽喜欢坐在里面。

贝亚已经把她的公寓布置得非常漂亮;她和格哈德非常幸福。

听起来您的圣诞节过得非常好,那么多的来访和礼物。与您那里相比,我们这儿没有下什么雪;至今为止,这儿仍是温暖的冬季——阳光明媚。

写信告诉我们您现在身体如何;我非常希望您开始感觉到自己就像过去一样。

深深爱您的,

兰德尔

1963年1月
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-9-23 17:15:33 | 显示全部楼层