bag of tricks = complete set of accessories/equipment所有需要的东西
Please may I borrow your bag of tricks so that I can service my car at home.
请把你所有的工具借给我,这样我就可在家里检修我的汽车了。
in the bag = successfully concluded, or as sure as if concluded<口>稳操胜券,肯定成功
We’ve completed the task -it’s in the bag.
我们已经完成了任务-大功告成。
My application for promotion is in the bag.
我晋升的申请犹如探囊取物。
mixed bag = varied collection混合体
The new intake of students appears to be a very mixed bag.
新招收的一批学生似乎是由各式各样的人所组成。
pack one’s bags = leave (in anger)打点行装;整装待发(愤怒地)
She tried to put up my rent yet again so I packed my bags and went somewhere else.
她想再抬高我的房子租金,因此我打点行装,到其它地方去了。
bait
jail bait = slang for person below the age of consent for sexual activity, considered as a potential sexual partner祸水妞儿(指与之发生性关系及构成强奸幼女罪的未成年女子);未成年女子
Be careful about getting involved with her, she’s only fifteen and typical jail bait.
和她缠在一起要当心,她只有15岁,是一个典型的祸水妞儿。
rise to the bait = to react in hoped-for way to a hint or stimulus上钩,中圈套
She always rises to the bait when I deliberately provoke her with unkind remarks about favorite pop group.
每当我故意讲她喜爱的流行歌星的坏话来激怒她时,她总是上当。
on balance = considering every aspect总的说来
On balance, I think I would rather not commit myself to going with you.
总的说来,我想我不愿答应跟你一起去。
strike a balance = compare things to find their worth衡量得失,做出结论
We have to strike a balance between the extra cost of a new notebook and the extra convenience of it.
在购买一部新笔记本电脑所需的额外花费和它提供的格外方便之间,我们得衡量一下两者间的得失。