color bar = (unlawful)regulation that excludes colored people from certain activities(非法的)对有色人种的歧视
Bring along your Jamaican friend; there’s no color bar in this club.
把你那位牙买加朋友一起带来,在这个俱乐部没有种族歧视。
prop up the bar = frequent a particular pub频频光顾某一酒店
You can usually find Jack propping up the bar at his local.
通常你可以看见杰克时常出没于他居住地的那家酒店
bare
bare bones = essential/most important features最基本的东西;最主要的特征
The bare bones of the scheme are its cheapness and simplicity.
这个方案最主要的特征是廉价和简易。
bare-faced lie = shameless/impudent lie不加掩饰的谎言
I saw him down the road last week and yet he says he’s been away in Italy for more than a month. it is obviously a bare-faced lie.
上星期我在路上看到他,但他说他外出去意大利待了一个多月;这显然是不加掩饰的谎言。
with one’s bare hands = without using a tool or weapon赤手空拳,徒手
If he says that again, I’ll kill him with my bare hands.
要是他再说一遍,我会赤手空拳打死他。
bargain
bargain for = prepare for, expect预料,指望
We ran out of food at the party because I didn’t bargain for so many people turning up.
在宴会上我们的食物不够,因为我没有料到会有这么多人来。
drive a hard bargain = insist on harsh terms in an agreement坚持对方接受苛刻条件
I am happy to let Marilyn negotiate for us because she can drive a hard bargain.
让玛里琳代表我们去谈判,我和高兴,因为她能迫使对方接受苛刻条件。
into the bargain = as well, in addition而且;另外还
It was not only cold but started to snow into the bargain.
天不仅冷而且还开始下起雪来了。
make the best of a bad bargain/job = cheerfully accept bad luck/adversity以随遇而安的态度对待不利情况
By the time we got there they only had blue ones left, but we made the best of a bad bargain and bought them anyway.
我们抵达那里时,他们只有蓝色的了,不过我们随遇而安的态度对待不利情况,还是把它们买下了。
strike a bargain = finally reach an agreement达成协议
We finally struck a bargain after half an hour of wrangling over who should pay the bill.
对谁应付帐一事我们争吵了半小时,最后达成了协议。
make the best of a bad bargain/job
It was very noisy in the reading room, but the girl made the best of a bad bargain and read carefully.
阅览室里很吵闹,但是这个女孩能做到随遇而安并仔细看书。
strike a bargain
It was impossible to strike a bargain that both sides would accept.
无法达成双方都能接受的协议。
●get away with
本能 Basic instinct
-I'll risk it.
-why take the risk?
-to see if I can get away with it.
●strike a bargain
空军一号 Air Force One
-Where is my husband?
-He had fled.The coward chose to save himself.But one can always strike a bargain.
-You listen to me.I don`t know who you are or what you want...
bargepole
wouldn’t touch somebody/something with a bargepole = would avoid at all costs<英口>(一般用于否定句)与某人/某事不发生干系(also I wouldn't touch somebody/something with a ten-foot pole (American & Australian informal))
That builder uses inferior materials and I wouldn’t touch him with a bargepole for any building work of mine.
那个经营建筑业者使用劣质材料,我压根儿都不愿与他发生任何建筑业务的交往。
bark
bark up the wrong tree = suffer under a misapprehension弄[看]错
She thought I’d made the report to the police, but she was barking up the wrong tree.
她认为我已报了警,然而她错怪了人。