lost one’s bearings = get lost, become disorientated 迷失方向;不知所措
It’s so easy to lose one’s bearings in the underground passages between the terminals at the airport.
很容易在机场地下通道终点站之间迷失方向。
beat
beat about the bush = prevaricate, avoid a direct answer拐弯抹角地谈论一件事,不直接谈正题
Don’t beat about the bush. Tell me truthfully what happened.
不要拐弯抹角,如实告诉我所发生的事情。
behind my back *意为“在我听不到的地方”、“看不到的地方”,用于当人们四处活动,偷偷摸摸地说一些坏话时。
Everyone is laughing at me behind my back. (大家都在背后笑话我。)
How do you know? (你怎么知道的?)
secretly (秘密地)
in my absence (在我不在的时候。)
without my knowledge (背着我)
As far as I can remember,...
What's John's last name? (约翰姓什么来着?)
As far as I can remember, it begins with M. (就我的记忆来说,它的第一个字母是M。)
To the best of my memory,...
As far as I know,... (就我所知……)
If my memory serves me right,... (如果我没记错的话,……)
beat down = force/persuade somebody to lower the price of something<口>(通过讨价还价等)迫使(价格)降低
He wanted a hundred pounds for it but I managed to beat him down to seventy-five.
他要价100英镑,不过我设法把他的讨价杀到了75英镑。
beat hollow = completely defeat彻底击败
Our team beat them hollow by four clear goals.
我们队以净胜4分彻底击败了他们。
beat it = run away <俚>逃走
Come on. Let’s beat it before we are discovered in here.
快,在他们没有发现我们在这里之前,让我们快跑开。
beat one’s brains out = think very hard to (try to) solve a problem绞尽脑汁
I beat my brains out trying to think of a way of getting round the difficulty.
我绞尽脑汁,试图想出避开那一困难的办法。
beat somebody to it = do something first (before anyone else can)抢先
There was only one vacant space in the car park and Nigel beat me to it.
停车场上只有一块空间,奈杰尔捷足先登了。
beat to a pulp = badly injure through beating打瘫
Before we could drag him off he’d beaten his poor victim to a pulp.
我们还没来得及把他拖开,他已经把可怜的受害者打瘫了。
2009/4/12
beat somebody to it
There was only one seat in the bus and grandmather beat me to it.
公车里只有一个座位了,老奶奶比我抢前一步。
beat to a pulp
Mike always screw up everything ,so his father often to beat him to a pulp.
迈克经常把事情搞的一团糟,因此他父亲狠狠的教训了他。